Archive

Archive for March, 2011

CMIS and SharePoint 2010

March 31, 2011 Leave a comment

CMIS (content management interoperability services) is now catching up. What is this CMIS do? this like a protocol defined by AIIM how different ECM systems can speak to each other over SOAP.  Eg, you can actually store your documents in Documentum 6.7 and make SharePoint as front end tool for those documents.

Many organizations are looking towards this for building a cost effective solution. And SharePoint 2010 is officially supporting CMIS and to get the capabilities you need to have SharePoint 2010 administrative tool kit (not exactly the toolkit, but a solution package which comes as part of the tool kit).

This technet article helps you get started on this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff934619.aspx

This brings the capability to pull documents from any other CMIS compatible systems into SharePoint and also other way. This also opens a different case to share documents across site collections or across web applications within same or different SharePoint Farm.

CMIS consumer webpart in SharePoint still has to get matured, but it shows the potential capability of CMIS. If you just install spcmis.wsp solution which comes with SP Administration tool kit, you get all these capabilities.  Above mentioned Technet article mentions how to use this solution package & other webparts.

All the services which provides the data in the CMIS format are available only after the deployment of above mentioned solution.

It is also worth to be noted, Consumer webpart shows only the content which are of type Document or Folder.

This link is usefult when connecting to Alfresco repository from SharePoint

http://www.trentswanson.com/post/SharePoint-2010-CMIS-Consumer-Connects-to-Alfresco-Producer.aspx

Unknown facts about Target Audience

March 24, 2011 Leave a comment

This may be know facts for few.. 🙂

Recently we had a issue that Target Audience is not working in our test environments (also in our Production as well). It all started with a issue ‘targeting a web part to a AD group is not working’. During the investigation we found following issues

-> We could not search so may Security & Distribution Groups in the audience picker tool

-> Count of members displayed in the dialogue window is inconsistent.

-> Even compiling the audience in CA does not provide any improvements.

But this functionality was working fine before upgrading to 2010.  With the help of premium support ticket we have found the resolution that, even groups has to be imported along with users. But in 2007,  it was considered automatically that all groups and users in entire DC was imported. Here are the facts,

-> Along with OU’s which contains users, we need to select the OU which contains the security groups and Distribution lists

-> Make sure you have selected the options to import both users & groups in user profile service.

-> Audience picker does not connect to AD to get the groups & distribution list unlike people picker which connects to AD. Instead it connect to DB to get the groups.

-> No. of members in the group is also calculated on the fly from the database.

-> It takes couple of incremental synchronization in order to get everything in place ( i don’t know why, probably because we have 10’s of thousand groups).

Hope this helps someone.