Archive

Archive for October, 2010

Add Web Parts to SharePoint Forms without SharePoint Designer (via Marc D Anderson’s Blog)

October 28, 2010 Leave a comment

Good one.. Little trick.

Add Web Parts to SharePoint Forms without SharePoint Designer This is a little one, but still really useful.  There may be times that you need to add Web Parts to the default SharePoint list forms and you aren't allowed to use SharePoint Designer.  If you try to go to Site Actions / Edit Page, you won't see that available as an option. If this is the case, just add &ToolPaneView=2 at the end of the URL and you'll magically see the Web Part Zone with the Add a Web Part toolbar exposed. You'll g … Read More

via Marc D Anderson's Blog

Categories: Uncategorized

Disable Nickname Search in SharePoint 2010 Enterprise Search

October 26, 2010 3 comments

We are currently upgrading our 2007 environment to 2010. During a testing, customer has found wired search result for people search (It is actually phonetic & nickname search feature), adding fuel to the problem sorting was not working as expected (because additional results by phonetic & nickname features).

After some investigation and a nice article ( http://www.kowalski.ms/2010/07/09/sharepoint-server-2010-phonetic-and-nickname-search/ ) we know now two features nickname & phonetic search features in SharePoint 2010. Now we know what is causing this behavior and we don’t want that feature and we could not find any settings. Though we have found indirect ways to make these features stop working. Though i do not recommend, still for your knowledge ๐Ÿ™‚

-> Clear the languageresources.txt and restart search service, phonetic search will stop working.

-> Now clear all the nicknames through the command remove-spenterprisesearchlanguageresourcephrase. There could be thousands of entries to be removed. Which again i dont suggest.

Now things are not getting easy, we turned up to MS Support, they came up with a solution to be tried

-> Export the People Core Results WebPart. Edit the webpart file and modify the properties EnablePhonetic & Nickname to false.

But when you make this change and upload the webpart these values automatically change to true. Surprise!!!. Later came to know that those properties are not configurable properties and finally getting towards recreating entire webpart through object model and peoplecoreresults webpart class is sealed.ย  This is not the solution we are expecting as it is getting more tougher.

So, we turned our direction atleast to somehow disable nickname search as it is making more problem. And here is the most important clue , there are no nicknames mapped for the language En-GB. And by change the user’s language in browse to En-GB we can overcome the nickname search. But making this change in a global organization is not so simple. And here is the very simple solution for it.

Solution

Export people core result webpart. Change the property ‘QerysideLanguage’ to 2057.

This is hack done after seeing the peoplecoreresults webpart through reflector. As it checks for this property if it is blank then it takes the browser language.

What we have is not actually disabling nickname search, but a work around which makes it not to work. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope this helps some one.

[Update 1] –ย  If you edit the people core results webpart, under Result Query Options -> Query Language, you can set the language from the UI. This webpart on a upgrade enterprise portal site will not have this property visible in UI.

Access Denied!!!

October 25, 2010 Leave a comment

It was on the my first few days ofย  SP 2010 administration work. My colleague buzzed me that “My site” was giving access denied. I was puzzled, because it was working 30 mins back. That said now, being from SP developer background, i went ahead and checked logs no useful information, checked database permission – it was in place, provided read permission on web application – not useful.

30 mins was over by this time, though it was QA environment pressure was building as UAT was about to start. Then i tried logging in as installation account, to my surprise it is working. Okay, what is the issue now, after spending few more mins on the My Site Host site collection, it was all because one person has uploaded a new master page, but failed to publish.

I have seen to many threads in MSDN blogs that ‘My Site is giving Access denied’ & ‘Search center is giving access denied’, and one common thing i keep hearing from them is that it was working yesterday.

So, if you are getting accessed denied error message which used to work before then check following items if they are in published & approved state

-> Master Page

-> Page Layout

-> Any resources that is utilized by that page.

Categories: Administration